Pecan Pie recipe
Mary O'Neill
2011-01-11 18:33:07 UTC
My mom was given a bunch of pecans and she wants to make a pie.
The only recipe I tried didn't turn out. We need a tried and true recipe
if anyone has one.

To stay on topic, I'm making my husband a quilt. It's the first one I've
made him, but not the first time I've sewn for him :) This is the first
quilt I've made in two years. Been ho hum about sewing over that time.
I've only been mending. I feel good about this though and have bought
even more fabric to add to my "To Do" list.
--
Mary O'Neill
Customer Service Rep
nohealthinsurance.net
NightMist
2011-01-11 20:32:44 UTC
My mom was given a bunch of pecans and she wants to make a pie. The only
recipe I tried didn't turn out. We need a tried and true recipe if
anyone has one.
To stay on topic, I'm making my husband a quilt. It's the first one I've
made him, but not the first time I've sewn for him :) This is the first
quilt I've made in two years. Been ho hum about sewing over that time.
I've only been mending. I feel good about this though and have bought
even more fabric to add to my "To Do" list.
Tried and true for a first time pecan pie?
I would recommend buying a bottle of Karo syrup and using the recipe on
the label.
I prefer using dark, other people prefer the light.

If you manage to find a bottle without the recipe, here it is:

http://www.karosyrup.com/recipe_details.asp?id=485

NightMist
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Polly Esther
2011-01-11 21:23:17 UTC
Thank you, NM, for aiming Mary to the best recipe. I was busy cooking when
her request came in and couldn't leave the stove for long. Now let me add a
few Indian tricks. ( I am authorized to say 'Indian tricks' since I did
indeed learn them from a precious grandmother who was Lakota.)
Here goes: prevent that pie pastry from getting soggy. Preheat the
oven to 350°. Lightly paint the empty pastry with a little beaten egg
white. Place the pie pan on a cookie sheet and pre-bake it for about 5
minutes. This is sort of like coating the pastry with varnish but there is
no good recipe for edible varnish.
If you will mix the eggs and brown sugar together before you mix in
anything else, you can conquer any rocky sugar lumps before they become a
problem.
And finally: If the pie crust is getting too brown, gently sneak a
sheet of aluminum foil over the top of the pie. When cooking time is up,
turn the oven off, open the oven door just a little and let the pie 'set'
there about 15 minutes more.
How you let the pie cool is important. Don't put it on a cold granite
counter. Try to find a QI and draft free place for at least 5 hours. Many
a nice pecan pie has turned to pecan pie soup because it was cooled or cut
in haste. Polly

Mary O'Neill
2011-01-11 23:10:34 UTC
Thank you Polly for the added suggestions. I'll pass these on to mom
too and save them for me! My first and only pecan pie was edible with a
spoon :)

Mary O'Neill
Mary O'Neill
2011-01-11 23:08:05 UTC
Post by NightMist
My mom was given a bunch of pecans and she wants to make a pie. The only
recipe I tried didn't turn out. We need a tried and true recipe if
anyone has one.
To stay on topic, I'm making my husband a quilt. It's the first one I've
made him, but not the first time I've sewn for him :) This is the first
quilt I've made in two years. Been ho hum about sewing over that time.
I've only been mending. I feel good about this though and have bought
even more fabric to add to my "To Do" list.
Tried and true for a first time pecan pie?
I would recommend buying a bottle of Karo syrup and using the recipe on
the label.
I prefer using dark, other people prefer the light.
http://www.karosyrup.com/recipe_details.asp?id=485
NightMist
Thank you NightMist. I'll pass this on to my mom and save it for me in
the future!

Mary O'Neill
dealer83
2011-01-11 21:12:10 UTC
Post by Mary O'Neill
My mom was given a bunch of pecans and she wants to make a pie.
The only recipe I tried didn't turn out. We need a tried and true recipe
if anyone has one.
To stay on topic, I'm making my husband a quilt. It's the first one I've
made him, but not the first time I've sewn for him :)  This is the first
quilt I've made in two years.  Been ho hum about sewing over that time.
  I've only been mending.  I feel good about this though and have bought
even more fabric to add to my "To Do" list.
--
Mary O'Neill> Customer Service Rep
Medical Data Services
nonformulary.com
nohealthinsurance.net
Here's the one I've used for years and it always gets rave reviews:

3 egg lightly beaten with fork or whisk
3/4 dark corn syrup
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup pecans
1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell
3 tablespoons melted butter

Combine eggs and corn syrup, mix well. Add sugar, salt, and vanilla
and stir well. Let stand 5 minutes. Meanwhile spread pecans evenly
on bottom of pie shell. Stir melted butter into syrup mixture and
pour over the pecans, covering each one. The pecans will rise to the
top. Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes until center is firm.

I've never had this recipe fail. It's delicious! Donna
Mary O'Neill
2011-01-11 23:12:49 UTC
Post by dealer83
Post by Mary O'Neill
[...]
Thank you Donna. These are the recipes that I often look for, tried and
true. I'll pass this along to my mom too. Let her decide which she
wants to try. I'll stash this one away with the others too.

Mary O'Neill
j***@gmail.com
Marcella Peek
2011-01-11 23:41:18 UTC
Post by Mary O'Neill
My mom was given a bunch of pecans and she wants to make a pie.
The only recipe I tried didn't turn out. We need a tried and true recipe
if anyone has one.
To stay on topic, I'm making my husband a quilt. It's the first one I've
made him, but not the first time I've sewn for him :) This is the first
quilt I've made in two years. Been ho hum about sewing over that time.
I've only been mending. I feel good about this though and have bought
even more fabric to add to my "To Do" list.
This is our favorite. It's from Cooks Illustrated magazine.
Unfortunately, there site requires a fee to see the recipe. But,
someone posted a very abbreviated version online

http://www.richphelan.com/recipes/pecanpie.htm

You want to pre-bake the pie shell before starting that's why the recipe
in step three says "warm" because the shell will be warm still by the
time you pour in the filling.

If you like a pretty pie, you can certainly top the pie with whole
pecans after pouring in the filling rather than having all the nuts
chopped.

The heating of the filling is really the secret to a nicely jelled pie
rather than one that runs all over your plate.

marcella
Polly Esther
2011-01-12 01:02:24 UTC
Well! It appears that there's just nothing to be done but to have a pecan
pie competition. Y'all come. We have 14 pecan trees and should be able to
supply all who want to prove their skill. ( Actually, our annual pecan crop
is about 4 pecans in really good years but we still have plenty ready for a
pie contest.) Polly
marcella
dealer83
2011-01-12 02:13:57 UTC
Polly and all, my husband was asking me what I was doing when I was
typing out my recipe. When I told him, he got this wistful look on
his face, so I knew a pie was in the making. I went out to the
kitchen and made one right then and there. We are lucky enough to get
a big box of pecans every year from our daughter, who lives in the
south. So...pecan pie was tonights dessert and I'm in a sugar
comatose state. A pin would make me pop. It was luscious, firm, not
runny, crunchy toasted pecans on top....now, aren't you all just ready
to make one? Donna
Polly Esther

to make one? Donna
amy in SoCal
2011-01-12 03:43:28 UTC
Yes, I do, Donna!! What a good wife to do that for your husband.
Going to make Brownie sundaes here!
amy in SoCal
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.
2011-01-12 04:07:35 UTC
That's funny! Last night I ate the last- very large- piece of pecan pie
that I had made a few days ago. Yeppers, I ate the whole pie all by
myself- and every single piece was knee deep in whipped cream, too!
Starting tomorrow I'm on a strict diet. LOL

I foresee a LOT of salads in my future for the next month or so..... And no
more pie crust for The HairyButt Gang, either.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

to make one? Donna
dealer83
2011-01-12 04:19:47 UTC
Polly and all....there's 5 pieces left, first come first served but,
wear your snuggies and bring your snowshoes. About all there is to do
in this frozen north is eat in the winter time. I do believe that's
why hot dishes and pie are taken so seriously here! lol Donna
Mary O'Neill
2011-01-12 04:56:47 UTC
Post by dealer83
Polly and all....there's 5 pieces left, first come first served but,
wear your snuggies and bring your snowshoes. About all there is to do
in this frozen north is eat in the winter time. I do believe that's
why hot dishes and pie are taken so seriously here! lol Donna
Well I'm not waiting for my mom to make her pie. I'm heading to the
store to get my own pecans. We do not have snow or even rain, but our
low temps have been lower than 35 for over 10 days now. Thanks for the
recipes everyone!
--
Mary O'Neill
Customer Service Rep
nohealthinsurance.net
Shirley Shone
2011-01-12 07:17:05 UTC
In message
Post by dealer83
Polly and all....there's 5 pieces left, first come first served but,
wear your snuggies and bring your snowshoes. About all there is to do
in this frozen north is eat in the winter time. I do believe that's
why hot dishes and pie are taken so seriously here! lol Donna
I will nip over. I have never tasted pecan pie and it was my 75th
birthday yesterday.
Hugs
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone
***@allcrafts.demon.co.uk
www.allcrafts.org.uk
Sandy
2011-01-12 16:47:46 UTC
Post by Shirley Shone
In message
Post by dealer83
Polly and all....there's 5 pieces left, first come first served but,
wear your snuggies and bring your snowshoes. About all there is to do
in this frozen north is eat in the winter time. I do believe that's
why hot dishes and pie are taken so seriously here! lol Donna
I will nip over. I have never tasted pecan pie and it was my 75th
birthday yesterday.
Hugs
Shirley
Happy belated birthday, Shirley! :)
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
http://www.sandywf.blogspot.com
Taria
2011-01-13 04:04:42 UTC
...and from here in So. Cal. too! Happy Birthday Shirley! Woohoo to 75
years.
Taria
amy in SoCal
2011-01-13 04:39:34 UTC
...and from here in So. Cal. too!  Happy Birthday Shirley!  Woohoo to 75
years.
Taria
Ditto from me, Shirley!!! what a milestone! i hope i live so long!
Happy belated from me!
amy in SoCal
Anna Belle
2011-01-12 13:50:38 UTC
Have to tell about one of my first pecan pies. Grandparents lived in
Arkansas and mailed us a box of pecans every year. I even used
Grandmothers recipe.
Pie looked lucious! Cut into it and the layers were: pecans on top,
then crust, then filling!
Never figured out how I did that, and it has never happened again.
We ate it anyway and it was delicious.
AB

to make one? Donna
Roberta
2011-01-12 15:12:37 UTC
Most recipes seem to need Karo syrup. But since I live in a Karo-free
zone (Germany), I like this recipe. It has NEVER failed.

1 cup sugar (I sometimes use half and half brown and white)
2 beaten eggs
6 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup milk
1 cup pecans (I usually use about 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup raisins (definitely optional! But this is really good using
dried cranberries or chopped candied ginger.)

Melt the butter in the milk. Spread nuts and fruit in the unbaked pie
shell (see below). Beat sugar and eggs into the milk mixture and pour
over the nuts/fruit. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. cool before
serving.

Pie crust:
6 tablespoons butter
1-2 tablespoons sugar (If you want to use this for e.g. a quiche,
leave out the sugar and give it a pinch of salt instead.)
1 cup flour (Place a tablespoon of cornstarch in the bottom of the cup
before measuring -makes a lighter pastry.)
Cut these ingredients together (or use a food processor) until it
resembles fine crumbs. Then add just enough cold water to hold it
together. The dough shouldn't be sticky. The amount of water depends
very much on humidity -sorry! But a spoonful is usually enough in my
humid climate.
Let the dough rest for half an hour before you roll it out.

Roberta in D
Taria
2011-01-12 15:38:15 UTC
I think I am the only one in the world that doesn't like
pecan pie. It might be the only pie I don't like. You
guys are going to have to eat my share and yours!
Taria
Butterflywings

Taria
2011-01-12 16:02:12 UTC
nice to be in good company. I like pecans and walnuts but don't like them
in pie. good luck at
the doctors office.
Taria
IEZ
2011-01-12 16:05:17 UTC
Post by Taria
I think I am the only one in the world that doesn't like
pecan pie. It might be the only pie I don't like. You
guys are going to have to eat my share and yours!
Taria
Oh, thank goodness there's someone else! The first time I tried it I was so
disappointed. Years later I tried again, because folks assured me I had
just had a bad one. Nope - the same.

Iris
Sandy
2011-01-12 16:46:34 UTC
Post by Taria
I think I am the only one in the world that doesn't like
pecan pie. It might be the only pie I don't like. You
guys are going to have to eat my share and yours!
Taria
No, Taria, I don't like traditional pecan pie, either. Something about
that jelly-like syrup base just doesn't make it for me. However, I do
have a recipe for little pecan tarts (no Karo!, no syrup-y stuff) that
makes me drool just to think about them. ;)
Bev in TX

Sandy
2011-01-12 22:31:49 UTC
Post by Bev in TX
I too don't like regular pecan pie; OTH, I do like pecans.
Are you going to post the tart recipe?
Bev in TX
Bev, I just went to look for it to share, and I can't believe it -- it's
missing! I've searched my computer files, my physical files, everything.
I can't find it anywhere. I'll admit that I haven't made these tarts in
some time, but I don't understand how I could have lost this recipe. :(((
Bev in TX
2011-01-14 10:45:55 UTC
Sandy,

That must have been disappointing to you :-(.

I tried searching for pecan tarts without Karo syrup and found the
following. Do any of these match what you remember?

No sugar at all (diabetic?; low carb?):
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1613,148166-231207,00.html
OR: http://tinyurl.com/4pqpqpt

Vegan version with dates and just a little syrup:
http://www.ivu.org/recipes/desserts/pecan-j.html
OR: http://tinyurl.com/47pb4fu

Brown sugar with 1-egg:
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Pecan-Tarts
OR: http://tinyurl.com/4hmu6c5

Brown sugar with 4-eggs:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,166,156171-235199,00.html
OR: http://tinyurl.com/4dp66se

Brown sugar & some honey -- no eggs; picture does not look like regular
Pecan pie:
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000001673199
OR: http://tinyurl.com/4almbws

Brown sugar -- no eggs
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/tiny-pecan-tarts/Detail.aspx
OR: http://tinyurl.com/4hzxqeh

Bev in TX
Sandy
2011-01-14 16:53:03 UTC
Post by Bev in TX
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Pecan-Tarts
OR: http://tinyurl.com/4hmu6c5
Bev, I think this is the one! :D Thanks so much! The only difference is
that I seem to remember the filling being enough for a double batch of
the pastry -- that may be because I make really tiny tarts when I make
them. They're just about enough for a couple of bites.

Let me know how you like them when you make them.
NightMist
2011-01-13 03:46:49 UTC
_In theory_ you are supposed to be able to substitute golden syrup,
measure for measure. Honey is also supposed to work measure for measure,
but it is a LOT sweeter than simple corn syrup. Sweet as a pecan pie is,
I would think hard about trying to cut back some of the other sugar if I
was using honey as my syrup.

I am guessing that since pecans are native to North America they are
probably pretty dear abroad. In years when pecans were a bit scarce this
far north, I have seen (or done a couple of times) walnuts or walnuts
laced with crushed brazils used instead of pecans. It is not the same,
but needs as must on my dad's birthday. The brazils are a good add since
they give back a bit of the richness you miss by using a nut other than
pecans.

NightMiste
Roberta
2011-01-13 16:08:41 UTC
Unfortunately brazils make my throat itch, or I'd try it! The
Karo-free recipe is actually tastier IMO. And a local store has
started carrying pecans, most of the time at least. Or maybe the
Germans just aren't buying them, and we foreigners are the only
customers! But I'm training up a corps of pecan pie fans -everybody
who eats mine wants the recipe. I sure don't want the store to stop
stocking them.
Roberta in D
Polly Esther
Roberta
2011-01-14 14:08:44 UTC
Well, they are where you live! A few years ago, before that store got
the idea and I had to import all my pecans, I decided to use them to
decorate chocolate chip cookies for a potluck party (chocolate chips
are still hard to find here). The idea was that anybody with a nut
allergy could easily see the nuts. One American man at the party
picked up a cookie, held it reverently for a moment, whispered
"Pecans!", then nibbled all around the edge so he could save the good
part for last :-) We seldom get that much respect for our cooking!
Roberta in D

Bev in TX
2011-01-14 14:38:22 UTC
Per Wikipdeia ...

"Today, the U.S. produces between 80% and 95% of the world's pecans,
with an annual crop of 150–200 thousand tons.[9] The nut harvest for
growers is typically around mid-October. Historically, the leading
pecan-producing state in the U.S. has been Georgia, followed by Texas,
New Mexico and Oklahoma; they are also grown in Arizona, South Carolina
and Hawaii.

Outside the United States, pecans are grown in Australia, Brazil, China,
Israel, Mexico, Peru and South Africa. They can be grown approximately
from USDA hardiness zones 5 to 9, provided summers are also hot and humid."

Happily for us, we have some pecan trees on our property and there are
several pecan groves in our area. However, the entire statye of TX has
had drought for most of 2010, so the pecan crop from TX will probably be
light this year.

Bev in TX
Lizzy Taylor
2011-01-15 15:44:26 UTC
Post by Roberta
[...]
Thank you Roberta for the syrup free version. I was looking at the
others wondering what substitution to make. Now I don't need to. What
sized pie dish do you make with the pastry?

Lizzy
Lizzy Taylor
2011-01-16 13:44:30 UTC
Post by Roberta
[...]
Thank you again - I made this last night, but cheated with a pre-made
pie shell from the supermarket, and the filling JUST fitted in. The pie
was a success in the making and the eating. I used dried cranberries
and found that their tartness contrasts very pleasingly with the
sweetness of the filling. When less pressed for time I will do the
whole thing from scratch.

Lizzy
Lizzy Taylor
2011-02-01 17:14:36 UTC
Hi Roberta,

Next time I make this I'd like to document the process and write it up
on Instructables ( http://www.instructables.com/ )for all those who,
like us, live in the Karo-free part of the world. May I have your
permission to do so?

It was most successful and went down well!

Lizzy
Roberta in D
Mary O'Neill
2011-01-16 06:34:01 UTC
Thank you all for the recipes! I made two pecan pies tonight from a
recipe that was emailed to me. I surely want to try some of the others.
I'm interested in making the one that has no Karo in it. Some of the
filling ended up under part of the crust. No worries, it is still
delicious!

I'm so full from sweet richness, it may be a while before I make another
one. I love to bake, but it always makes we gain weight when I do,
unless I give it away!

Cheers, Mary O'Neill